Sunday, January 6, 2013

Revving Up For Departure

In a little under four days, I'll be halfway to London, where I'll spend this upcoming semester. WHAT!?

Right now a few things are on my mind...

1) The flats! All University of Notre Dame London students live in Conway Hall, located on the South Bank in Central London.  Students recently received their assignments, and I'll be rooming with 11 other girls.  So, odds are at least one of them will like me haha. Apparently quarters are pretty tight, with 3 per bedroom and 4 per bathroom.  I'll be sure to confirm those details and post pictures of the flats in an upcoming post.

The flats will also be fun because they'll be my first induction into the "real world." There are no meal plans in London, so I'll be buying my own food and cooking daily.  Here's to grocery shopping like a big girl and trying not to burn down my hall.  Can anyone say "ham sandwich"?

2) My classes!  Unfortunately there's that "study" component of study abroad.  I'll be taking four classes this semester: Government and Politics in Britain, Themes in British Philosophy, The Holy Spirit, and Macroeconomics.  ND kids take classes at the London Centre, located in the heart of Trafalgar Square.  Luckily, it's only a mile walk from our flats, so I'll have a good 15 minutes every morning to scope out future husband Prince Harry as I waltz on over to Theology.  My schedule is great, and there are no classes on Friday.  Prime travel conditions!

3) My job!  I am one of six Notre Dame students interning at the Parliament.  I'll work ten hours a week for MP Andrew Percy.  We know he's a big deal because he has his own Wikipedia page.  In the past, MP interns have performed a number a variety of duties ranging from research, drafting letters, attending Parliamentary sessions and even performing secretarial work.  Therefore, I can't say for certain what I'll be doing there, but I can say that I'm ecstatic for this opportunity to burst out of the ND bubble and immerse myself in British politics.

4) Packing... the only thing on my list without an exclamation point after it.  The program pays for one suitcase-- joke life.  I'm no crazy fashionista, but of course I'm bringing two.  Afterall, I'll need to have something to contribute when my flatmates and I all raid each others' closets!


That's pretty much it at the moment.  I leave this Wednesday from O'Hare with 60 other ND kids.  I hope you'll join me on my journey!  I promise to stay as up-to-date with this blog as possible, and I can't wait to share all my adventures with you.

Cheers,
C

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog, lady! Congrats on the internship, that's awesome! Safe travels, Caity.

    ReplyDelete